Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

A Family Made Saturday

Saturday was a beautiful day here in Mississippi and my family and I took full advantage of that fact.  Rachel, Caleb, Ferrell, and I spent most of the afternoon working in the garden.  We added a few raised beds and added some things to the beds we already have.  In addition to that we tilled up a portion of our larger garden plot hoping to help the ground dry out a bit so that we can plant that area soon. 

Here's a few pictures that were snapped while we were working Saturday.

Caleb hard at work!


Ferrell planting blueberries.
Rachel helping me add some plants to our strawberry bed. 


Rachel, Ferrell and Caleb hard at work in the garden.  The playpen was so Ellen could enjoy the beautiful day too :)


Rosemary



The Peppermint is coming back nicely.


My lemon balm is also coming back nicely.    I enjoy the lemon balm so much that I planted
another one by my front porch.
One of our smaller beds that has spinach and lettuce.

We also have oregano, thyme, sage and bee balm that are coming back from previous years planting and my basil that I planted a couple of weeks ago is now up.  I have a few tomatoes planted, but I will definitely be planting more of those in a few weeks. 

We are working hard to somewhat change up the composition of our soil, because it is mostly clay and also low, which means when it rains it takes FOREVER for it to dry out enough to plant anything.  When we do plant I make my rows really, really high to help prevent my poor plants having to stand in water.   

When the ground actually does dry, then it feels like we're trying to work concrete.  We've been adding compost, manure, dried leaves, and just about anything else we can think of to help the soil become looser and also to build it up some and after a number of years we are FINALLY beginning to see a difference.  Nothing drastic, but at least I can tell that we aren't wasting our time.  

I enjoy working in the garden and am sooo excited to see all of my plants popping up everywhere and thankful to get a few more things added this year.  So, how did you spend your Saturday?

2 comments:

  1. I love in MS too. What part do you live in? We live in Northeastern part. Our soil is the exact same way. I'm trying to add as much to it as possible this year..as Spring usually brings lots of rain and my poor plants about drown from lack of good drainage. Hope you have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in Starkville, MS which is sort of northeast. Only about an 1 1/2 hours from the Alabama line. Hope your week is great as well!

    ReplyDelete