Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Delicious Green Bean Casserole

I was looking through my recipes yesterday looking for "something different" to prepare for my family and ran across my recipe for Green Bean Casserole.  This is the same basic recipe that you find on the can of French Fried Onions you buy in the store with some slight changes to make it gluten free.  In my opinion these changes make it MUCH better.

Since I have gluten sensitive family members I make my own Cream of Mushroom Soup and also my own French Fried Onions which is what I think makes this dish taste so much better than the way I used to make it.

I started with the French Fried Onions.  These can be made ahead of time and stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator, unless you're like me and can't quit eating them :)

2 or 3 big sweet onions
enough milk for soaking the onions
1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons salt
pepper
flour (I used cornstarch, but any gluten free flour will do)
oil for frying

Mix flour, salt, and pepper.  Slice onions and separate into rings.  Dredge in the flour/seasonings mix and fry until golden brown.  Drain.  (Try not to eat to many, because you will need them for the casserole topping :)

Next I made the Cream of Mushroom soup.  This can also be made ahead and frozen in one cup portions which is approximately the equivalent of a can of soup.

1 pound mushrooms (I used canned)
6 tablespoons butter
2 cups broth (I used turkey, but you could use chicken or vegetable)
2 cups milk (whole, low-fat, rice, soy)
6 tablespoons flour (I used cornstarch)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Saute mushrooms in olive oil and set aside.  Next melt butter in a large pan and once the butter starts to bubble add your flour and spices.  After the sauce has cooked for a few minutes add milk and broth and stir until the sauce thickens.  When this has thickened add mushrooms.

Green Bean Casserole

Green beans (If using fresh you need about 2 pounds.  I used about 3 cans.)
1 tbsp. gluten free soy sauce

Drain the beans and place in a large casserole dish.  (If using fresh green beans, cook 4-5 minutes until they are bright green).  Mix in the soup and soy sauce and top with the french fried onions.  Bake for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly.

2 comments:

  1. I love your recipe as it is all homemade. I never thought to make my own french fried onions. That's one of the reasons I don't make this very often, the french fried onions are so expensive. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion the homemade french fried onions are what makes this casserole sooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete