Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Breakfast Casserole

I have a large 3-ring binder that I use to keep a copy of our favorite family recipes.  I type up the recipe and place it in a plastic page protector and put in the binder, which I have divided into catergories.  That way, anytime I want a recipe I can pull it from the binder and don't have to worry about spills or splashes, because the plastic cover wipes clean easily.  

While looking through my binder recently I ran across this recipe for Breakfast Casserole.  I haven't made it in a long time, but I think it will be on the menu soon. 

Breakfast Casserole

6 slices bread (I use gluten free)
6 eggs beaten
2 cups milk (can use rice milk, soy milk, etc.)
1 pound sausage
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
1 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper

Butter bread lightly and place in greased 9 x 13 pan and set aside.  Brown sausage and drain.  Sprinkle sausage over bread and sprinkle cheese over sausage.  Combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.  Pour over cheese.  Cover and chill overnight.  Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until set. 

 Additional things that can be added are  chopped spinach, onion, garlic, bacon or ham in place of sausage, chopped broccoli, shredded carrot, etc.  You can also top it with a fresh tomato slice and a little sour cream and salsa.   I have never frozen this so I don't know if it freezes well or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment