Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Bees

I've been "kicking around" the idea of getting some bees and was wondering if anyone has any information about getting started?  I have never raised bees and don't know anyone that does, but I was thinking that it would be interesting and also beneficial for our little homestead.  I would appreciate any information about beekeeping that you would be willing to share.

So far this year, we've added rabbits, chickens, and goats to our little homestead so I'm thinking about the bees for next year.  That way I've got a little time to learn before just "jumping in" like I usually do and also the opportunity to figure out if it's something I really want to do or not :)

4 comments:

  1. I read, read, and read some more before I started. Our University offers courses on beekeeping, but there's nothing like hands on to make all of those books make sense. Find a partner in crime, look up beekeeping organizations in your area, visit, and ask a lot of questions. Most people enjoy helping out. This is only my third year, and I've got so much to learn yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Your recent post "inspired" me to go ahead and start really looking into this. I've always wanted to try my hand at beekeeping, but never followed through. I've been looking at a some things on the internet and am hoping to find a couple of good books on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with odiie. I started watching a bunch of utube videos on the subject. I found several plans on the internet and put them together and built my own Top Bar bee hive. I have just been reading and talking with people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ya'll. I appreciate the input. The more I read about bees, the more I'm thinking I want to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete