Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Preparations

With the possibility of snow and ice moving in for the next few days, I've been spending most of my time this morning and late yesterday making preparations.  We keep a stockpile of basic items on hand most of the time and thanks to the salvage store we have an abundance of canned and ready made gluten free items as well.

 Murry and Ferrell spent yesterday afternoon (since Murry was off), making sure the chicken coop was insulated against the cold and today we'll be taking care of the turkeys.  I'm also in the process of making a big pot of taco soup, chili, and potato soup, as well as baking brownies, an apple crisp, gluten free bread, cornbread, haystacks, etc.  We have a gas stove and usually when we have an ice storm we put things in a cooler on the porch so we don't have to worry about opening the refrigerator  if the power goes out.  I can really do without the ice, but I love snow.  My biggest concern is the large pine trees close to our home.  I always fear that the tops will break out and land on our house, but since I can't do anything about that at the moment, I'll just focus on having some hardy, cold weather foods available.  What are you doing to prepare?

No comments:

Post a Comment