Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Crockpot Meatloaf

I've been trying to do more crockpot cooking lately, which has led to experimenting with recipes that I usually cook in the oven.   This is my usual meatloaf recipe that I thought I would try cooking in the crockpot and it turned out great.  I don't see any reason why you couldn't mix it up and freeze it to be cooked in the crockpot later if you want to.   I already do that for meatloaf to be cooked in the oven and don't see why it wouldn't work in the crockpot.

I really don't use an actual recipe so all amounts are my best guess.  

2 pounds ground beef (I used ground deer)
3 eggs
1 cup gluten free rolled oats
1/2 onion (chopped)
1 medium sized can of tomato sauce
salt & pepper to taste

Mix all together and shape to fit your crockpot.  I have one oval shaped crockpot so I made my meatloaf into a log, but you could make it round and it should work fine.  I cooked it on low for 7 hours.  

Since I used deer meat I didn't have a lot of grease settle on the bottom of the crock, but if you are using ground beef you may need to use a rack or possibly drain the meat part way through cooking.  Also, we don't put a sauce on top of our meatloaf.  I'm not sure how it would work to put the sauce on at the beginning of your cooking time, but it may be fine.  You could possibly add it about an hour or so before it's finished cooking.  Play around with it and see what works for you.   Half the fun of cooking is trying new things :)   

So far I've had two successful crockpot experiments this week and this makes me very happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment