Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Homemade Baked Beans

These beans are delicious and since I already have all of the ingredients on hand it's inexpensive for me to make.  I like to keep some in the freezer for a quick and easy side dish that's good with just about anything.

(I got this recipe from About.com Southern Food and adapt it as needed to the ingredients I have on hand)


Homemade Baked Beans

3 cups of dried white navy beans, soaked and simmered until tender (I also used mixed beans on occasion)
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup molasses
1 large onion chopped
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon salt
6 slices of uncooked salt pork or bacon, diced
1 cup brown sugar

Place all ingredients in slow cooker; cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low.  Stir a few times if possible.

(If you use gluten free bacon and ketchup then this also makes a delicious gluten free side dish)

No comments:

Post a Comment