Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Finally, A Fruit Fly Trap that Actually Works!

Every spring it seems that I begin a battle with fruit flies that lasts for months.  Regular flies are bad enough, but the little fruit flies drive me insane and it seems they are always winning the battle.  I have tried several things in the past and usually end up using some kind of store bought spray (repeatedly) before we ever get rid of them.   I really don't like using those sprays and have been looking for something more natural.  After reading several things online about making fruit fly traps (and trying to use them without success), I decided to combine a couple of the ideas and give them a try.  I did and it worked.  Within fifteen minutes there were about thirty of the little pests in the jar and more sitting on top!   Yay! 

This is what I did.

Take a jar that you don't mind throwing away and use an ice pick to poke a few holes in the lid (I made quite a few).   Put equal parts apple cider vinegar and water in the bottom of the jar about one inch deep and then add a piece of rotted fruit or two.  I used bananas and peaches.  Put the lid on and set it on the counter (or wherever you have your fruit fly problem).   After a short period of time you should begin to see fruit flies inside the jar.  For some reason they go in, but they can't get back out.   After a couple of days toss the jar (fruit flys and all) in the trash.  If needed you can make another one. 

I would love to hear any other suggestions for getting rid of fruit flys or black houseflies.  It seems that we have an abundance of both this year. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness...I had the same problem two weeks ago when hubby brought home a ton of discounted bananas! I will be trying this next time. They drove me crazy too ! Thanks for sharing.
    Cary Ann

    ReplyDelete