Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ham Pot Pie

I cooked a large ham yesterday, so for supper we had Ham Pot Pie and Salad.  It was soooo good that I thought I would share the recipe.  Since I didn't have an actual recipe to go by, I'm just putting what I did.  You can use any vegetables that you have on hand.  Quantities will vary depending on your families size.

Ham Pot Pie

2 tablespoons butter (or butter substitute)
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
chopped ham
cubed potatoes  (I used three large ones)
sliced carrots (I used about a cup of baby carrots sliced thin)
1/2 cup ham broth
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons cornstarch  (If you're allergic to corn, tapioca starch should work fine)
Milk (rice or soy milk will also work)
Boiled eggs (I used three.  Eggs can be omitted if you have food sensitivities)
Biscuit dough (I used gluten free)

Melt butter in skillet and add chopped onions and garlic.  Cook until tender and translucent.  Add potatoes and carrots, 1/2 cup ham broth and 1/2 cup water.  Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender, adding more water as needed to keep vegetables from sticking.  When vegetables are tender add chopped ham (mine was actually shredded) and enough water to cover meat and vegetables and let simmer while you mix cornstarch with enough milk to make a paste.  Add to vegetables and ham.  Let simmer a few minutes while it thickens.  Depending on how "juicy" you want your pie you may need to add more water.  Add seasonings if desired.  My ham and broth was salty enough that all I added was a little pepper.   Pour into deep casserole pan and add boiled eggs.    Mix biscuit dough and drop by spoonfuls on top of filling.  Bake at 350 degrees until biscuits are browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment