Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cookbook

Ok, I admit it.  I'm strange.  I've always been strange and I guess I will continue to be strange to a lot of people.  Even when I was a child I liked to do strange things like hoe in the garden, feed chickens and have pet pigs (that we later ate).  As I got older I did things like "put up" jellies/jams and garden produce.  Later we had milk goats (and yes we drank the milk), chickens (for eggs and meat), rabbits (for meat), and guineas (just because I like them :).   In recent years I have done things like start an herb garden, bulk cook for the freezer, sew, crochet, learn to knit and make soap. 

I have been blessed to live in an area where there are others who share many of these same interests.  To me these things don't seem all that strange and I have always found someone that I could learn from or share tips with.  I have never really considered myself that "strange" or "different" until recently.  Lately, I have been told quite a bit that I do things the hard way and how much more efficient I could be if I did things the "normal" way. The only thing I can figure is that with our world changing and becoming more "convenient" with ever increasing technology my strangeness just seems to show up more.  For my part, I am totally content with it :) 

Soooo, in the interest of being strange I want to tell you about another cookbook that I recently purchased.   (I think I have mentioned before that I love cookbooks).  The one that has "struck my fancy" lately is titled "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon.  I purchased it from Amazon.com and I absolutely love it.  The writer includes nutritional information and the health benefits of lacto-fermented foods.  I have to admit that she piqued my interest and I have already tried several of the recipes.   If you are tired of hearing about "politically correct" nutrition and are interested in getting back to the basics, I think you'll love it too.  Go ahead, be strange, it's not so bad!

1 comment:

  1. Strange or not, (I don't think so) ,I wish I had ur energy! I feel mighty lazy when I hear what u've done any given day! I think more of us should be more like u, that's the way the Lord intended it!

    ReplyDelete